By law, you must ensure you are covered. The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, together with a host of further legislation regarding the control of substances hazardous to health, requires businesses to provide protection against the risk of exposure to Legionella bacteria and impose statutory duties on the management and control of spa pools and other wet facilities.
Premises managers should refer to the Management of Health and Safety Regulations to provide a safety framework.
You are required to provide:
- A Legionella Risk Assessment which is an essential risk management process and comprises a detailed examination of the risks presented by man-made water systems, and seeks to identify and assess the risks associated with Legionnaires' Disease through exposure to Legionella bacteria.
- A Risk Assessment should also consider anyone who could be potentially exposed to any Legionella bacteria in your system, and particularly groups that are at a higher risk of contracting Legionellosis.
- Have access to competent help and advice to apply Health and Safety legislation.
- Evidence you have accessed competent help & advice.
- Information, instruction and training to your employees.
SAS can take the stress out of your Legionella Control responsibilities. We provide a holistic Legionella Control Service or, either in tandem or as a one-off programme, we can train your team, contact SAS on 01335 347058.